Seeing a dentist and getting preventative care is essential to your dental and overall health. However, we understand some patients suffer with anxiety when it comes to having a dental visit. Below you will find a few tips that will help ease your mind when it comes time for your next appointment.
- Recognize your fear- did you have a bad experience as a child? Rest assured, dentistry has come a long way! Treatments are far less invasive and much more gentle and comfortable than in the past.
- Use relaxation techniques. Before your appointment, set time aside where you can get in the right mindset. It can be helpful to focus on relaxation meditation, stretching and deep mindful breathing. Not quite sure how to meditate? Check out YouTube, they have great guided videos!
- Bring a friend or family member. Having a support person can make you much more relaxed and calm.
- Bring your headphones and favorite music to listen to during your procedure.
- Let your dentist know you have anxiety about your appointment. This will ensure that the dental team is aware and will take extra steps to make sure your visit is a pleasant experience.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some patients find it comforting to know exactly what the procedure entails. If you have questions, we encourage you to ask!
Put it this way, if you don't change the oil in your vehicle regularly, what happens? The engine blows! Maintenance is key, so see your dentist every 6 months and don't forget to change your oil too :)